Thursday 31 March 2011

Super Easy & Healthy Gluten/Egg Free Almond, Apricot, Macadamia & Coconut Slice



One of the things my 'carob feeding' mother passed down to me was substituting recipe ingredients with healthier alternatives, it was like a genetic malfunction that just clicked in at a certain age. Since the birth of my Son, I find this condition has worsened dramatically, as I look for new and interesting ways to get 'good stuff' into him, (and it doesn't hurt me or Man of house either).

This chain of thought brings me to my next, Agave Syrup.. the great sugar alternative, recently re-introduced to me by a friend P who I'm sure must take sunshine supplements as he literally glows with health. So of course, I didn't have a choice to re introduce my love of this amazing syrup! Rather than harping on about it here is the link to a fantastic website that will tell you all you need to know, www.allaboutagave.com

As in all my recipes if I can source organic produce I try to, and encourage you to buy Organic and support this fantastic industry.


Here is today's small pleasure, my Gluten/Egg Free Almond, Macadamia, Apricot & Coconut Slice..

1 1/2 cups Brown Rice Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1 1/2 cups desiccated Coconut
1/2 cup chopped Macadamia Nuts (or other nuts)
200g of Dried chopped Apricots
1/2 cup Almond meal
1 1/2 cups Organic Milk
1 cup Agave Syrup

Grease a slice pan and line with baking paper
Preheat oven to 180C
Place dry ingredients in bowl and make a well in the centre
Mix in wet ingredients with a spoon
Bake for about 30min or until golden brown

I was a bit naughty and put a little icing on mine but you can easily just dust a bit of icing sugar over the top or leave it as is..
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Coconut to sprinkle


I had a friend email me that her little boy has nut allergies and what could she substitute the almond meal and macadamias with.. 
The nuts can be substituted with more dried fruit or chocolate chips if you can find a brand that they can have, the Almond Meal - you could just pop in 1/4 cup more of Coconut or 1/4 cup more of  Rice flour, either is fine.





The Lemon Canary x



No comments:

Post a Comment